Above all I want my children to know they are loved by God. The love of Jesus and the many gifts He gives us transcend any earthly riches.
- Jesus gave His life so that we may find eternal life in heaven.
- God gave us each other here on earth to share in the journey.
- The Holy Spirit comforts and guides us as we travel through our days.
We are truly never alone.
Creating jewel hearts is a wonderful opportunity to spend time talking with our kids about the many gifts God provides.
Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow.
How are God’s riches different than the riches found on Earth?
Create Jewel Hearts
- heart cutout*
- hole punch – optional
*Supplied by Christian Curriculum Experience God.
Directions for Jewel Hearts
Our riches are in Heaven.
We can store up our riches with God instead of trying to be tempted by the riches of the world.
- Glue the gems on the heart.
- Attach the ribbon as a hanger. (We used a hole punch and tied on the ribbon, you could also use glue).
- Wear the heart or hang on a door to remember to find our treasures in God.
Pray with Jewel Hearts
- Invite children to hold their jewel hearts and pray together.
- Pray and thank God for giving us what we need. “Lord, please help us to find beauty and treasure only in You. In Jesus’ name, Amen.”
- Find an appropriate hymn such as “Surely God is With You,” from Experience God’s Truth Tunes III.
- Stand against a wall and place a Bible on the floor far from them. Each time the child hears the world “God,” encourage them to take a step.
Explain Jewel Hearts
God feeds our bodies and our hearts so that we are strong in Him.
Our Experience with Jewel Hearts
The act of placing jewels on the heart and gluing them in place was excellent fine motor practice for all three of my kids. My eldest was even able to tie on her own ribbon. We hung the completed projects in the window, so the sun could reflect off the plastic jewels.
My kids did a great job of talking about the wonderful gifts that God gives us here on earth. Rainbows and the beach were at the top for favorites. They also understood that God’s riches in heaven are greater than any riches (wealth, etc.) we might have here on earth.
The kids are pretty impressed that heaven might be better than the beach (LOL) and are still too young to fully grasp what is meant by treasurers in heaven. They are able to understand that relationships and connection with other people and the world around us is more important than material possessions and money. This craft gave us a good opportunity to discuss how important it is to protect and strengthen our relationship with God. Given their ages, I think that’s a pretty great start!
This craft gave us a good opportunity discuss how important it is to protect and strengthen our relationship with God.
Our family greatly enjoys learning about our Lord and praising Him through stories, songs, and crafts!
The image below is perfect for pinning for later!